- About Fileflow Backup
Answers to questions about Fileflow Backup - the complete personal computer or production server backup system for people that care for their data.
If you choose to set a custom Encryption Key, Fileflow is not able to assist you recreate your data, and you are solely responsible for reproducing your custom encryption key in case of disaster - should you choose this strategy.
What is Fileflow Backup?
Fileflow Backup is a complete backup solution that secures your data to a remote location, for online recovery in case of disaster.
Running on all platforms, Fileflow Backup silently and recursively backs up laptops, desktop computers or production servers at regular intervals and ensures that your files are always accesible through the easily available Fileflow Backup Client Software, or directly online.
Your data is stored encrypted with 256-bit AES according to strict security standards, in grade A secure and redundant hosting enviornments, with 200 Mbps SDSL connections at your disposale for maximizing the available bandwidth potential.
Simply create an account, download and install the Fileflow Backup software, provide your credentials and lean back while Fileflow Backup takes care of securing your precious files. Never lose your data again - even if your data is lost in a fire, stolen, damaged by a vicious new virus or hardware malfunction . And even better. Your data becomes accessible for recovery wherever you are.
What are the advantages of online backup?
The most important aspect of backing up is that your data is stored in a different location from the original data.
Traditional backup requires that you manually take the backup media offsite.
• is automatic and does not require user intervention, so that you don't have to label CDs, disks or change tapes.
• avoids human error.
• provides unlimited data retention.
• keeps previous versions of your files.
• is platform independent software. Install anywhere.
• Your files are encrypted and kept in a secure purpose-built data center. If you or your company does not have the right backup solution, it may cost vast amounts of money and you also risk losing your reputation with your customers. In a competitive situation, a client will often go to your competitor if something is wrong with your system.
With Fileflow Backup you don't have to worry about ever losing data again.
What is the support situation with Fileflow Backup?
You can send enquiries to us here
. You can call us on +47 974 14 025 from 09:00-16:00 CET on weekdays, except holidays and national days. Or you can send an email to
What are the components of Fileflow Backup and their function?
There are three components with the following funtions:
• Fileflow Backup is an easy-to-use client-side desktop backup application for backup and restoring of desktops/laptops.
• Fileflow Server Backup is a comprehensive client-side application for backup and restoring of servers, and is available with various database backup modules to backup files and databases from client-side computers to a core server application. The core server application offers centralized backup services to diverse Fileflow Backup users, which allows system administrators to manage individual users and their account configurations, as well as monitor the entire system’s performance easily.
• MyFileflow is a web portal with a centralized management console which allows system administrators to manage the whole backup system from anywhere at anytime through any web browsers. Users can view their files, backup reports, statistics and download some or restore all backed up files from their MyFileflow accounts.
How secure is Fileflow Backup? Where are my files stored?
Before your data is transferred from your computer and/or server they are encrypted. All files are transferred over a secure SSL encrypted connection and the data remains encrypted on our servers. The encryption is equal to, or greater than most industry standards: 256-bit AES, which is approved and recommended by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), a non-regulatory federal agency within the U.S. Department of Commerce. We can therefore be used for transferring sensitive data.
Your data is stored in a secure, continuously monitored and guarded data center, located in Oslo, Norway.
How do I restore my files?
Open the desktop application and click on Restore, or log in to your account in the MyFileflow web portal.
Depending on your Internet connection and the size of the backup, restoring files can take hours or even days.
Can I backup multiple computers?
Yes. To back up multiple computers, you need an additional module for a small one-time fee. Note that when backing up multiple computers, we recommend that you increase storage space. Contact your sales representative or contact us directly here
How long does a backup take?
This depends on the amount of data and the speed of your Internet connection. Large amounts of data does take time to transfer. The first time you run a backup, all files need to be uploaded in full. This can take hours, and even days, depending on the total size of your data. After the initial backup, only new files and changes to your existing files need to be backed up, which results in much smaller amounts of data that needs to be transferred. After the initial full backup, backup takes minutes or a few hours.
Answers to questions about installing and starting Fileflow Backup.
How do I install Fileflow Backup?
1. Log into your account, and select Fileflow Backup.
2. Download the installation file for your operating system.
3. Double-click the downloaded file and follow the installation instructions.
4. You must choose what to backup and when. Select the Backup Source and Backup Schedule in the lower left corner.
5. You can now save and exit the Fileflow Backup application. The backup will start automatically (in background) at the given time.
• The first time a backup is run, all files are uploaded in its entirety. This can take hours and even days, depending on the overall size of the data and your internet speed. The initial backup can still be in progress when the next scheduled backup is meant to start. If a scheduled backup does not run, the reason for this is specified in the email reports that you will receive on a regular basis. After the initial backup, only new files and changes to existing files will be backed up, resulting in much smaller amounts of data to be transferred. After the first full backup, backup only takes minutes or hours.
• Automatic Backup requires that your computer is turned on and does not go into sleep mode.
What platforms are supported and are there any installation requirements?
Fileflow Backup is platform independent can be installed on any platform.
The only system requirement to run Fileflow Backup is Java 5 or higher. Java 5 is installed by default on nearly all modern platforms today, and is easily and freely available online for all platforms at: www.java.com.
Answers to questions relating to trouble-shooting Fileflow Backup.
I forgot my Fileflow Backup account password. What do I do now?
Do the following:
1. Log into your MyFileflow account, and click on Fileflow Backup. Then, click on Forgotten your password? Enter your username or your email address. Once you have filled it in, an email is sent to your registered email address with a hashed (encrypted) version of your password, giving you access to the application.
2. Copy and paste the hashed password into the Fileflow Backup application and save.
3. Click on the User Profile icon (bottom left) and click the Change. Paste the hashed (encrypted) password you received in the email, and fill in a new password. It is very important that you keep record of your user password!
How do I find out how much storage is in use and how much space I have left?
This is specified in your email reports, the Fileflow Backup desktop application and your account in the MyFileflow web portal.
I forgot my encryption key. What do I do now?
If you forget your encryption key, it is not possible to decrypt your backed up data, and you need to create a new backup. Because the encryption key is never sent in readable form to our servers, it is not possible to retrieve.
Do the following:
1. Log in to your MyFileflow account and click on Fileflow Backup. Sign in with your username and password.
2. Check the box next to your backup set and delete it.
3. Open the Fileflow Backup application and start a new backup immediately.
I delete backed up files, but I don't get freed up space. Why?
Deleting files does not delete the data immediately, even if the files are no longer visible to you. It is only when the daily cleaning job (09:30 CET) has run on the backup server that the data is deleted.
Every time you delete files, you must therefore wait until the cleaning job has run before you get free space.
Are there any special considerations that must be taken in relation to passwords?
You can only use English characters in passwords.
How do I know the backup is running?
Fileflow Backup runs quietly in the background, avoiding interruptions in your daily work . If you want to check that your computer is being backed up, open the Fileflow Backup program.
Click on Backup in the menu on the left.
A window for the backup progress opens, and after a few moments another window opens with the error message: Another backup job is till running. Backup skipped.